Stanley Feld M.D.,FACP,MACE
President Obama’s healthcare reform act is a little over one year old.
It is easy to forget the negative components and unintended consequences of the bad legislation. It will not solve our healthcare systems problems. It is making the problems worse.
America is facing a tremendous budget deficit. There are many causes for the deficit. The Medicare and Medicaid entitlement programs are two of the principle causes of the mounting deficit.
President Obama’s goal is to provide universal healthcare coverage at an affordable price with an increase in quality. The healthcare reform act is going to change the payment structure without changing incentives for consumers of healthcare.
The result will be a disaster for everyone.
John Fleming is an M.D. and a member of congress. He wrote a note to his constituents revealing how the President Obama’s healthcare reform act has failed to deliver on costs, premiums, spending and preserving American’s existing healthcare coverage. He wants to repeal the healthcare reform law.
Several of the law’s initial provisions have taken effect. The effects of newer provisions are being anticipated. This anticipation has created havoc. Waivers granted to unions have generated cries of favoritism. The law’s initial provisions have already resulted in American families and businesses facing higher costs, economic uncertainty, and loss of their current healthcare insurance coverage.
None of these effects has been helpful to our fragile economic state.
Dr. Fleming has listed some of the issues and unintended consequences that will cause President Obama’s healthcare reform act to fail.
1. In 19 states parents can no longer buy child-only insurance policies as a result of the law.
2. 30 states suing to block the law from taking effect, or requesting waivers from its requirements
3. 51 percent of American workers who will lose their current health coverage by 2013, according to the Administration’s own estimates.
4. A $2,100 increase in individual insurance premiums due to Obama care, according to the Congressional Budget Office.
5. $2,500 premium reduction promised by candidate Obama “by the end of my first term as President” will not occur.
6. 7,400,000 reduction in Medicare Advantage enrollment as a result of Obamacare, resulting in a loss of choice for seniors and millions of beneficiaries losing their current health plan.
7. $118,000,000,000 in new costs imposed on states to implement Obamacare's budgetary costs that will lead to reduced services for other state programs like education or to higher state taxes
8. $310,800,000,000 projected increase in health costs due to Obamacare, according to the independent Medicare Trustee.
This list is only the tip of the iceberg. There are many effects of the legislation that will add waste and increase cost to the healthcare system.
It is hard to keep track of these effects. Painful consequences are “easy to forget” as President Obama’s spin machine keeps telling us how wonderful his healthcare reform act will be for America.
The massive bureaucracy being formed with all its waste and paperwork is discounted by the administration.
1. 1,270 for new bureaucrats requested by the Internal Revenue Service to implement the law this year
2. 6,578 pages of new regulations issued implementing Obamacare through March 14, 2011
2. 800,000 reduction in the American labor force due to Obamacare provisions that “will effectively increase marginal tax rates, which will also discourage work,” according to the CBO
3. 2,624,720 total individuals in 1,040 plans granted waivers thus far exempting them from the law’s insurance mandates; nearly half of whom participate in union plans
4. 40,000,000 firms subject to the health law’s new 1099 reporting requirements, which the National Federation of Independent Business called a “tremendous new paperwork compliance burden actuary", who called its promise of lower costs “false, more so than true”
5. $552,200,000,000 is the amount of higher taxes Americans will pay if Obama care remains in place, which will be imposed on all Americans in varying degrees.
6. A $1,390,000,000,000 increase in federal spending on new entitlements during fiscal years 2012-2021 according to the CBO, a 48 percent increase from an earlier estimate
Dr. Fleming’s DIAGNOSIS:
The new health care reform law is the prime example of how the Democrats’ tax hikes, spending spree, and heavy-handed government policies are hurting our economy and making it harder for small businesses to create jobs.
Removing these barriers will provide the businesses that create new jobs with the certainty they need to hire new employees and get our economy back on track. I remain committed to reducing healthcare costs by providing access and choices for every American, protecting the patient-doctor relationship, and keeping the government out of the exam room. I will work aggressively in Congress to repeal what I firmly believe to be an onerous and unconstitutional health care reform law and support market-based solutions to our health care needs.
Bravo Dr. John Fleming. More congressmen should be repeating the facts about President Obama’s undeclared waste and hidden taxes. It is hard for the public to remember all the facts.
The opinions expressed in the blog “Repairing The Healthcare System” are, mine and mine alone.