Attention Politicians: We Are Not Stupid
Stanley Feld M.D.,FACP,MACE
President Obama’s Healthcare Reform Act was passed in both houses of congress one year ago. Democrats had a large majority in both houses. Last week Democrats throughout the country held events celebrating President Obama’s Healthcare Reform Acts anniversary. Either Nancy Pelosi is blind to public opinion or thinks the public is stupid.
The public is realizing what bad a law Obamacare is turning out to be. We have not even gotten into the truly bad effects of the law yet. The law’s truly bad effects are timed to take effect in 2013 after the 2012 elections. Meanwhile, the costly and wasteful bureaucratic infrastructure is being put in place.
- Many seniors have lost Medicare Advantage plans as Obamacare is starting to put restrictions on the plans and the healthcare insurance industry is dropping out of providing Medicare Advantage coverage.
- Millions of other Americans have been forced to find new healthcare insurance options.
- Healthcare insurance options are decreasing as a result of President Obama’s Healthcare Reform law.
- Healthcare insurance premiums are increasing rapidly.
- Employers are discontinuing healthcare coverage or at least increasing employee contributions.
- States have warned that the law's Medicaid provisions could bankrupt their treasuries,
- Medicare insurance premiums and deductibles have risen in 2011. A rise in premiums in 2012 was announced today. The Social Security Administration also announced that there will be no cost of living increase for Social Security recipients in 2012. As Medicare premiums increase without a cost of living increase, Medicare recipients will receive smaller Social Security checks.
- The new House of Representative has voted to repeal the entire act. They have succeeded in repealing the part of the law dealing with 1099 reporting.
- Some courts have ruled against the constitutionality of President Obama’s Healthcare Reform Act. The final judgment resides with the Supreme Court.
10. A 3.8% surtax on the sale of homes, and unearned income becomes effective January 1,2013.
11. “I can make a firm pledge. Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes,”
President Obama, September 12, 2008
12. States are requesting waivers from President Obama’s Healthcare Reform Act.
13. President Obama has already granted temporary waivers to over 2,000 favored unions and businesses.
14. Even the Washington Post said Mrs. Pelosi's recent claims that the law has created jobs and will cut the deficit are "false or exaggerated."
An ongoing tracking poll by the Kaiser Foundation found a significant erosion of public support for President Obama’s Healthcare Reform Act. President Obama’s Healthcare Reform Act was not popular when it was jammed through congress by a partisan Democratic majority. It is less popular now.
- 2010: 35% of respondents said they and their family would be "better off" as a result of Obamacare .
- 2011: 26% feel they will be better off as a result of President Obama’s Healthcare Reform Act.
- 2010: 28% believed their quality of care would be better under ObamaCare.
- 2011: 20% believe their quality of care would be better under ObamaCare.
- 2010: 31% believed the cost of their care would be better because of the passage of Obamacare.
- 2011: 23% now believe President Obama’s promises. Only 2% believe healthcare insurance premiums have been going down. 50% believe premiums have gone up.
- More people say family income and medical care has been "negatively affected" by ObamaCare than those who say their family has benefitted.
Nevertheless, President Obama, Harry Reid, and Nancy Pelosi continue to praise President Obama’s Healthcare Reform Act as a "a milestone in the history of this country."
The trio might be right. It is turning out to be a disastrous milestone in the history of the country as many and I have previously predicted.
The opinions expressed in the blog “Repairing The Healthcare System” are, mine and mine alone.